Tuesday, June 21, 2011

First Day of School!! (you know...Nemo style)

I finally got to see some for the education system at work here in Buenos Aires.  Today, Margarita and I viisted Cecilia's school; Children's School (http://www.childrens-boston.com.ar/home.php).  It is divided into three seperate buildings.   We visited the the three and four year old classrooms.  I felt right at home!  We followed the English teacher, Romina, to three different classes.  Each class has a classoom teacher and Romina is the "specials" teacher.  It's similar to the music teacher (at my school) coming into the classroom for a lesson.
As she retold the story of "The Gingerbread Man" I saw many similarities between the strategies she was using and those that I use.  As I talked to her about her instruction in English, I realized that their comprehension is not as important to their learning in English as it is for my students.  If I had been instructing these groups, I would have been pushing harder for the students to echo my words or to label the characters or colors, etc.  But, here it is more important for them to comprehend instruction in Spanish.  English is a bonus to their education at this age.  Romina explained that she wants them to become familiar with English as oppose to being able to use it (at this age).  That makes perfect sense.  It was definitely an eye-opener. 

After my time at Children's School, I went to visit a teacher who is a former participant of the R.I.T.E. program.  Gabriel is a teacher here in Bueno Aires.  He has visited Frisco as part of the Rotary Exchange as well as a "tourist".  He teaches English to adults at Lenguas Vivas.  The program is called "Lenguas en los Barrios".  The program is offered with an optional fee...yes optional.  I was able to meet with two classes tonight.  The first class is a "level 8".  This means they have been studying English for 7-8 years. 
We talked during their entire class period about my purpose for visiting, my education, my country, etc.  It was absolutely delightful!!! I was applauded and I really wanted to applaud them as well.  They are all adults learning to be fluent in another language.  I feel very inspired to go back to school or to find a personal Spanish tutor to become fluent.  The second group was level 4.  This group was much less talkative.  I don't blame them.  Their English is probably better than my Spanish. 
After meeting these students (who I will be visiting again!), I went to meet with some young Rotary members.  Their ages vary from 17 - 30.  I was very surprised.  I didn't even know about the Rotary Club (and it's many contributions to humanity) until I was introduced to the R.I.T.E program.  The longer I am here, the more impressed I am with the culture. So warm.  So involved. 

I also had the BEST flan I have EVER HAD IN MY LIFE tonight.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment