Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So many schools....So little time

Today is day 13 in Buenos Aires.  I am going to tell you something that will shock you and send you into a spiral of disbelief. Are you ready?

There were no toilet SEATS in the school I visited today.

(It's not certain but...) I was told it is against the law to have toilet seats due to it being less hygienic and the risk of children hurting their fingers.  Can you imagine? I can because I used it! Without a seat!  Crazy!!

Aside from that, these last two days have been VERY busy!  Yesterday, Monday the 27th, I went to Belgrano Day School.  This is (another) private school.  Here, Kindergarten (under age 5) is all in English, all day.  I met Janet Lenton, who is the Head of Primary, and Lorena Scigliano.  Lorena (Lore) is a former member of the R.I.T.E Program!  She visited Kansas for her exchange.   Most of my day was spent with Lore.  I learned many interesting things about her school.  In their school, they have "houses"; North, South, East, and West.  Each house is represented by a color; Blue, green, yellow, or red.  This made me happy because it made me think about Harry Potter.  My only complaint is their uniforms look like they belong in Slytherin.  BOOOO.
After my time at Belgrano Day School, I went to Escuela de Idiomas (again).  Here I was part of a Q & A session with students who are levels 2-4 English speakers.  Most classes were VERY shy and really weren't interested in talking.  Teenagers are the same in every country :)
Most people would assume my day would end, but that's absolutely not true.  After my time at the Language School, Margarita and I traveled by bus to a Rotary Meeting.  On this night, Nylia Monte (who visited Frisco with the R.I.T.E. program) was speaking about her trip to Frisco.  I was surprised to discover that this particular Rotary club does not have women as members (but the wives are very actively involved).  Nylia spoke, I spoke, we ate the most delicious food, and then it was time for bed.  It was a LOOOOOOONG day, but a VERY good one!

Today was a special day for me (but, of course, they all are)! I visited Glaux in the morning. Glaux is a private school where everyone learns English.  Students attend English four times a week for 40min.  Additionally, students have the option to attend 6 more classes of English each week.  Completing the additional classes during their program allows them to graduate as Bilingual (like an advanced diploma).  Here, another teacher - Natalia, was also a former member of the R.I.T.E program (she went to Idaho).  I was in the building with the very tall and very scary secondary students.  Although they were intimidating (at first) we quickly got off to a wonderful questions and answer session. 
After Glaux, I visited Nylia's school; Nueva Escuela Argentina 2000 (NEA 2000 for short).  This is a private, non-religious, bilingual school who instructs children ages 2 - 18.  The grades are divided into three separate buildings; Kinder in one building around the corner, Primary, and Secondary (across the street from one another).  I spent my time in Primary with the 3rd grade.  I was amazed and very impressed with the level of their English speaking and comprehension.  I was also impressed that each student was prepared with written questions for me to answer.  Nylia and I also had the chance to discuss basic procedures such as attendance and grading in her school.  All of the children were so enthusiastic about asking questions in English and I am so happy I was able to see Nylia's school!
I could go on and on and on and on about my daily experiences but I must go to bed.  Tomorrow I am returning to Belgrano Day School bright and early to visit my favorite age group; (pre)Kindergarten!!  Also, prayers please, I am taking the subte all by myself.  Like a big girl! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    Hope you arrived well and that you have enjoyed your visit to our country.
    We really liked your talk about yourself and your experiences here in Argentina.
    Now we are on our extra English classes (Bilingual classes) reading your blog, we really like what you said about us!
    We wish you the best! Happy B-Day Courtney!
    XOXO
    Glaux Institute students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney!

    We are members of secondary school Glaux where you came last week. We want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!! we had such a wonderful time with you :) we hope you're fine and back home. Please send us other photographs you have from that day, if it's possible. Hopefully see you soon here, love XOXOXO 2nd year, bilingual classes :D

    PS: you can send us some photos to...

    ceciliacercone@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really hard for a teacher to survive in Argentina. It does not matter what subject they teach, it is always difficult. I knew one that was also trying to teach English and she had to work a lot, and maybe once she taught 45 hours in one week. It is crazy, even though Argentineans are used to it, it is not healthy. Anyways, I was visiting the country when I met her, and apart from this, the city was awesome. I was staying in an apartment in buenos aires near downtown and I really enjoyed it.
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete